Spaghetti Squash Pie
1 Spaghetti Squash - 1 1/2 pounds
Ground Turkey - 1/2 pound (or lean ground beef or chicken)
2 tsp - Olive Oil
1 small Onion
1 medium Garlic Clove
29 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tsp Italian seasoning, dried ( or add Basil & Oregano per your taste)
1 tsp Coarse Salt
6 oz fat-free ricota cheese or 3/4 cup cottage cheese
1 large egg
Pam - Cooking Spray
1 cup Shredded fat-free Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesean Cheese
Spaghetti Squash Pie Shell Prep
Preheat oven to 350F.
- Halve Squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds.
- Place Squash cut side down in a large baking dish.
- Prick the skin all over with a fork.
- Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into strands, into a bowl.
- Spray pie plate with cooking spray
- Arrange strands in the bottom and up the sides of a pie plate to form a crust. (If you want to freeze these for future use, freeze in pie plates now).
- Bake the crust at 425F for at least 20 minutes to remove some of the moisture.
- Pour off excess moisture and bake 20 minutes more till semi-firm.
- Cook Ground Turkey at medium heat in frying pan till brown.
- Drain fat and remove from pan.
- Heat oil over medium heat in same pan.
- Add onion and garlic and stir fry for 5 minutes (until tender).
- Stir in diced tomatoes or use homemade tomato sauce
- Add seasonings, bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and add cooked turkey and simmer uncovered until thickened (about 5 minutes)
Place Ricotta or Cottage Cheese in small food processor.
Puree until smooth
- Starting with Squash Pie Shell
- Add Cheese Mixture layer
- Add Meat Sauce layer
- Sprinkle with grated Mozzarella Cheese on top
- Sprinkle Parmesean Cheese on top